Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Data in the Primary Grades!!!


Data, data, data....that's a popular word nowadays!  I love using data to track student growth and progress, make goals, and plan instruction, but this post is about how my FIRST GRADERS are using data to track their individual progress and reach their goals! I've been using Data Notebooks with my 1st graders for about four years now.  I've been adding things each year, so that they will be useful to both me and my students. 
Each student in my class has a Data Notebook.  We use it daily for behavior tracking, weekly or monthly for reading progress monitoring and goal tracking, and it is shared with parents during conferences.
I have four main parts of my notebooks that I'm sharing here:
*Behavior/Participation Tracker
*AIMSWeb graphs
*World Series of Reading points
*Wildly Important Goal tracking
I use a behavior/participation chart in my classroom.  At the end of each day, students bring out their notebook and color the calendar to match where they are on the chart for the day.  I encourage them to set personal behavior goals based on these calendars, look for trends, and reflect at the end of each month.
January page from student notebook
Our classroom chart
We also use the Data Notebooks frequently to graph our reading benchmark and monitoring from AIMSWeb.  Kids have their goal highlighted and graph their results each week or month (depending on how often they are monitored).  It is a great visual for them to see growth, lack of growth, and how far to go until they reach their grade level goal.  Some of my kiddos come in above the average expectations, so they set higher goals to work toward. The third photo shows a boy who began far above grade level expectations, so his graph actually goes to "200" instead of "100", like average first grade graphs.
Student who began in average range


An above average reader set a higher fluency goal
He started well above grade level and has adjusted his fluency goal twice.
Last year, we began our World Series of Reading to get our kids excited about reading as they find books or a series that they love.  In a nutshell, it works like this:  Students find a series at their level that they are interested in.  They read one of the books from their series.  After reading, they review with a friend to check for comprehension.  Then, students take an Accelerated Reader quiz.  If they pass with 80 or higher, they move to the next book in their series.  Students receive a charm for each series they pass.  If they reach their monthly point goal, which is based on their reading level, they receive a World Series rubber duck, which are wildly popular and sought-after!  Because our main homework is an expected 20-30 minutes of reading, students are expected to meet certain points goals each month.  Students have a set amount of points that they are supposed to meet each month, but most students like to set higher goals to work toward, so I've included our World Series W.I.G.s chart.  We usually do not start this until March, when most students are able to meet the set amount easily and can begin to strive for more ambitious point goals.  This first month, a lot of them overestimated how many points they could earn, so we discussed possibly setting a more realistic goal...we also have Spring Break in April, so they have one week less of World Series time this month.
An emergent reader who is making great growth!
Proud owner of five World Series ducks so far!
Students setting ambitious World Series points goals
Throughout the week, students write W.I.G.s (Wildly Important Goals...we are working to be a Leader in Me school).  My students write their goal on a sticky note, along with the goal beginning and goal ending date, and stick it on our big chart.  Some goal examples:  attendance, words per minute, passing a particular series, behavior, and World Series points.  Each Friday, we read over the chart.  If a student achieved his/her goal, we say "GOAL ACHIEVED!", I draw a big smiley face on it, and move it to the W.I.G.s Achieved chart.  After some display time, I hand the sticky notes back to the kids and they stick them on the W.I.G.s Achieved page in their Data Notebook.  W.I.G.s Achieved are also announced at our Morning Ceremony and students sign a special "W.I.G. Book" that is kept in the office.
Our WIGs Chart...goals now written independently throughout the week
Data Notebook W.I.G. page

They can add as many W.I.G. pages as needed

In addition to these data pages, we have several school-wide pages that we complete at the end of the school year and pass on with student binders to the next teacher (you can find them in my TpT store if you are interested), but these pages I've included in this post are sent home with the student at the end of the year so they can reflect on growth and achievement after a year of hard work!
I'm always interested in hearing how other people use data with their young learners, so I'd love to hear from you in the comments!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment