Friday, February 26, 2016

"Some of Us are Reading Chapter Books"


First grade in the spring...a magical time!!  So many of my students are making such fabulous growth in reading right now.  It’s just so exciting!  Two of my boys have both started trying out chapter books and have become crazy voracious readers!  They are trucking through the Magic Tree House series.  I feel like every time we talk about reading or books or homework or…anything really, one of them pipes up with, “Some of us are reading chapter books.”  I think I’ve heard it 20 times in the last few weeks!  And, I love it! It sounds something like this:    Me:  Remember, during Read to Self, you should be at a zero voice level or a whisper.  Him:  And some of us are reading chapter books.  Later, Me:  During Read to Someone, be sure you are sitting EEKK and using a level 1 voice.  Him:  Yes, and can we read our chapter book to our friend?  Next round, Me:  Check our list of activities that you can work on during Word Work.  Him: But, if we are reading chapter books, can we just read those instead?  ALL DAY!  :)
This fabulous picture just about sums it up.  Every Friday, we have Friday Choice Time for the last 20 minutes of the day.  Students who have earned Choice Time can play games, such as Connect Four or CandyLand, do a puzzle, share their Sharing Time items with friends, or complete a directed drawing or craft of some kind.  Instead, for the last two Fridays, this little guy chose to read his chapter books!  I asked if he wanted to go out into the hall for a quieter area, but he said he was fine and kept right on going with Jack and Annie’s latest adventure.
Anyway, I just thought I’d share this fun snippet from my classroom since I haven’t blogged in a few weeks!  I’ve been a little preoccupied with another piece of exciting news...During our trip to Disneyland over Valentine’s Day/Presidents Day weekend, we became engaged!!  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment